[Dixielandjazz] Making the clarinet sound

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 8 19:47:28 PDT 2005

"LARRY at <sign.guy at charter.net> wrote (polite snip)

> The best trick for the clarinet player is to pump lots of air.  It's all
> about air.  Without good support and a good embouchure you won't ever get
> good projection on the horn.  There's no easy way.  Always play to the back
> of the room.

Yessir, Pump the air through and ALWAYS play to the back of the room. How
many of us forgot that truism in our quest to play soft Dixieland? :-) VBG

Hey perhaps that's what's wrong with the music these days? We're all trying
to play softly into a microphone (which alters the sound immensely and makes
us all sound pretty) instead of loudly without one. :-) VBG.

You nailed it shut Larry. We don't want to mess around with stuffing goop in
the mouthpiece, just get a wide lay Van Doren 5JB, suck in two lungs full of
air and blow it out through a big bore blackstick.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone