[Dixielandjazz] Re: female tuba eupher

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jul 6 19:33:21 PDT 2005

Dan Augustine wrote:

> Steve and others on TubaEuph and DJML--
>     It was Dave Richoux who asked about her on May 4, 2005:
>
> "I am passing a question from the Dixieland Jazz list:
>
>> In this name dropping game about tuba players, I do not see the name
>> of Louise Anderson. She was in the Cincinnati area and worked with the
>> likes of Frank Powers and Ted des Plantes. She led a short lived but
>> wonderfull group, Chicago Rhythm, with herself, Hal Smith, Frank
>> Powers, John Otto, and Jack Meilhan.
>>
>> Louis played solid tuba. Have not heard much of her in late years, so
>> if anyone knows any update on her please send it along.
>>
> I did a quick web search and only found a few other references to her
> recorded work. (there is another Louise Anderson who writes books -
> this is not her.)   Anybody in the mid-west know Louise?"
>
>     Bill Haesler wrote back:
>
> "I have their Stomp Off LP (SOS 1026). Recorded in Sept 1982.
> A great little group with listmate Butch Thompson, cl, p; as a guest on
> several tracks."
>
> This recording was apparently never released on CD, but here are the
> particulars about it:
>
> Name of band: Chicago Rhythm
> Title of recording: Chicago Rhythm
> Label: Stomp Off 1026
> Songs: Oh Sister Ain't That Hot, Liza, Southbound, Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble,
> Laughing at You, I Lost My Gal From Memphis, King Joe, Out of Town
> Gal, Hummin' to Myself, He's the Last Word,
> Chicago Rhythm personnel:
> Frank Powers - clarinet, tenor sax
> John Otto - clarinet, alto sax
> Ted Des Plantes - piano
> Jack Meilahn - banjo
> Louise Anderson - tuba
> Hal Smith - drums
>
>     I didn't see her listed on Terry Waldo's website.
>
>     Dan
> **--------------------------------------------------------------------------**
>

>> From: "eupher dude" <eupher61 at hotmail.com>
>> To: tubaeuph at smartgroups.com
>> Subject: [TubaEuph] re:  female tuba eupher
>> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:05:44 -0500
>>
>> Just a little information for someone (!) who,a couple of months ago,
>> was
>> asking about Louise Anderson. (I've tried searching the list archives
>> and
>> haven't found the original query...sorry!)
>>
>> The only thing I've found is that Louise Anderson played on some
>> recordings
>> with Terry Waldo in the late 80's/early 90's.  Possibly a contact
>> with Terry
>> through www.terrywaldo.com could get some information.  I think the
>> recordings I've seen were done in Cincinnati.
>>
>> That's all I know.
>>
>> steve

I did mention here and also sent a tape of the group Chicago Jazz (mono)
I made at Central City, CO to Dan Augustine who was ocllecitn tuba example..
Louise was (and is as far as I know) an excellent tubist, and a good
jazz player on that horn. Solid rhythm player
and good  at soloing.
Have not heard much of here for years.
She certainly is worthy of being on any list of good tuba players. Hey,
I also brought up Crhris Stind, another fine played.
And Wallbanger (Mike Wallbridge) is among the best around.
Don Ingle