[Dixielandjazz] FW: Pop and the singers

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Jul 3 22:27:42 PDT 2005

I enjoyed the read and the article is right on but let me extend the idea a
bit further and that is to trumpet players ( and most trombone players).
Around here there are Three trumpet players that if you put me into a dark
room it would take less than a couple of minutes for me to identify them by
their tone and style.  All the rest sound like trumpet players.  All the
same no matter what their technical ability is.  What ever happened to guys
that wanted to play like Harry James.  It would be useless to point out all
the great trumpet players had a style and were distinct.  The only guys that
seem to have that today are over 60.  One of my favorites is Gary Dammer
that some of you may know.  There are guys around that play faster or may
have more endurance but this guy has style and can put them all away.  I
worked with a young guy last night that was really good and hit almost all
the spots - great sight reading and the gig was successful but his sound was
pure vanilla.

What ever happened to the stylists and the interpreters of music?
Larry Walton
St. Louis