[Dixielandjazz] FW: Pop and the singers

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Jul 3 19:11:36 PDT 2005

This is well worth reading, although there's a lot to disagree with. I
think the writer ignores the fact the the crooners weren't all Crosbys
or Sinatra or even Haymeses but sooo many were inexpressive
milquetoasts without distinction. Also, there are many, many male and
female [modern] jazz vocalists today who are truly excellent. Granted,
they're not pop icons and most of the kids aren't digging them, but
they're here. I agree, though, about the cliched vocal gymnastics of
soul music, abusing the source, namely, Gospel singing. Thanks for the
posting, Bill.--Charlie Suhor