[Dixielandjazz] Re: Left Bank Bearcats (Paris)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 3 18:06:56 PDT 2005

Dear Ed,
You rat!
You've shattered my long-held faith in the accuracy of discography!
8>)
The Leftbank Bearcats' LPs from 1956-58 turned up in Australia in the late
1956s and caused a few arguments at the time. There were those of us who
dismissed them as commercial dixieland, along with Pee Wee Hunt. Others
liked them for the liveliness of the music, which is extremely competent.
I even gave my two LPs away, some time later!
Recently, a mate of mine transferred his 3 LPs to CD and I helped him track
down the personnel and recording details.
I'm playing one of the CDs now. Good stuff, or have I mellowed with age?
'Definitely French!' and 'Recorded in Paris' say the covers.
Vol 3 even names the Maison Diabolique, Paris, France as the locale for the
recording.
I assume, in today's legalistic world, that they would be sued for
misleading the public.
OK then, you've finally outed your mate, drummer Jack Cassidy (Jaques Cas).
Who then are Aron Dubois, t; Marcel Durand, tb/ldr; Jacques Bonner, cl;
Bernard Gaste, p; Robrt Eluist, bj; Louis Marquaint, g; & John Gautreax, tu?
All in the interests of discography, of course.
Very kind regards,
Bill.