[Dixielandjazz] Re: Battle Hymn & John Brown

Patrick Cooke amazingbass at cox.net
Sun Jul 3 08:12:38 PDT 2005

Not all murderers were abolitionists, neither were all abolitionists
murderers; but the John Brown whom Julia Howe elevated to sainthood with her
lyrics was indeed both a serial mass murderer and an abolitonist.  He and
his sons killed dozens of people, some entire families, in Kansas; and was
primary cause of the state being named "bleeding Kansas."  He was captured
at Harpers Ferry by a federal force led by captain Robert E. Lee, who was
still an officer in the U.S. Army at the time.   Brown's legal defense tried
to claim insanity, but he was found guilty and hanged.  I believe he was
indeed insane, but I'm glad they hanged him anyway.  He needed hangin'.
         Pat Cooke