[Dixielandjazz] RE: Kermit Ruffins

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 10:32:30 PST 2005

Steve Barbone wrote:

>>GREAT PLAYER, GREAT N.O. Jazz Band.
>>
>>Wonder why he is unknown amongst most Dixieland aficionados. He and one of
>>his bands would make great headliners for  your local OKOM Festivals.
>>
>>What? He's black too? I didn't know black folks played OKOM today. :-) VBG

Agreed, Steve.  Ruffins' CDs are very entertaining -- his version of "Besame
Mucho" (on a CD called "Big Butter and Egg Man") borders on the comic but
swings like mad.  I've never seen him live, but he must be very skilled at
working a crowd.

I've been wondering about this issue for a long time.  There are other
excellent black trad players:  Dr. Michael White and Louis Ford, two
clarinet players from New Orleans, for example.  But you never see them play
trad festivals... and you rarely see black attendees.  I would think that
booking black artists might be an easy way to increase the audience.