[Dixielandjazz] Evolution of "The Spanish Tinge"?

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 08:37:49 PST 2005

I can see how someone may not like Latin Jazz, but to deny its very
existence?  : )

My son (who is 7) and I were listening to the excellent Latin Jazz station
on XM Radio yesterday, and he loved it.  I think he responds to the energy
and the rhythm of Latin Jazz more than to other jazz styles (which he seems
to like--unless he's just humoring me, but they don't seem to engage him as
much), but he dances around the room when Jane Bunnett, Hilario Duran or
Machito are playing.

A splash of Latin rhythm may be a great way to appeal to contemporary
listeners.  Most of the groups I've played with over the past couple of
years have at least a couple of Salsa tunes (in addition to the more-common
Bossas) and we carry claves and other auxilliary percussion to play when not
soloing.

In addition, some of the improvisers playing in the Latin Jazz bag are
absolutely amazing.

For teachers, one thing I noticed back when we did the Eastpointe Jazz
Society jam sessions--beginning improvisers (esp. the high school students)
always seemed to play better and be more confident (and get lost less
frequently) on Latin numbers.  I think they're more comfortable with them
because the feel and phrasing is more familiar to them than swing phrasing.

All the best,
Rob McCallum