[Dixielandjazz] Re: Copyrights

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 10:21:40 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/28/05 12:49:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bhaesler at bigpond.net.au writes:

> Dear Rocky, Tom, Steve (and all the others involved in this thread),
> Mention has been made of three organizations claiming to collect royalties
> on behalf of the composers in the US.
> ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.
> Does that mean there are three separate sets of performance fees for each
> establishment, record label or radio station?
> Or have they divided the territory up between themselves?
> We have similar, but seemingly less draconian, situation here in Oz.

Hi Bill:

Yes, there are Three separate organizations attempting to do the same thing,
they just claim to have different members for whom they collect royalties,
therefore when one of them throws a lawsuit onto some small or even large entity
it is usually the kiss of death because the other two will shortly follow with
actions of their own.

ASCAP and BMI have most of the action in Traditional and Pop music, and SESAC
has a heavy hand in Gospel music which ASCAP and BMI sort of left the door
open in years past far enough for SESAC to get a foothold.  I also believe SESAC
is more active in Europe as well.

It all started getting out of hand with the invention of the JUKEBOX and
placing them in all the bars and restaurants along with cigarette machines, gum
machines, etc.

Cheers,

Tom