[Dixielandjazz] Re: Improvisation

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Wed Jan 26 21:34:52 PST 2005

Charlie Suhor *wrote: (polite snip) Quoting Alec Wilder.

From: Steve barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
[excerpt]
<<...Only difference is that composers who are writing tunes do it slowly
and
deliberately, while those who improvise do it instantly and perhaps
subconsciously...
... For real improvisers, (not folks just playing connecting patterns) kinda
like being in a zone...>>

I believe you're right, Steve.
Mr. Wilder wrote out his entire thought while his subconscious mind
controlled his breathing, digested his lunch, and fought off whatever virus
might've been floating in the air.
If the mind can do all that, why can't it improvise "involuntarily" as well?