[Dixielandjazz] My Armstrong recollections

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 22:56:20 PST 2005

I believe it was in late 1966 that I first met him. It was at the rosary of
Ellington bassist Wellman Braud, who I had met and played with at jam
sessions at Isabele Burbee's house in Whittier, CA over a period of several
years. My daytime gig prohibited my attending Wellman's funeral the next day
and I was somewhat depressed, knowing that I was going to miss saying
"good-bye" to Wellman in the company of many mutual friends. There was
little more than a handful in attendance at the rosary but, to my
astonishment, Louis Armstrong was there. Following the rosary, those in
attendance were invited to a nearby home where Mr. Armstrong was staying.
Within a half an hour, I found myself in the presence of "Pops" as he was
called as well as calling most others. He was in a tank top undershirt and
in striped shorts and telling stories of recent trips and future plans.

At that time I had recently graduated from college and my first "real"
daytime gig was working at the Watts Service Center on 103rd Street in LA as
an Employment Security Officer for the California Dept. of Employment. (This
was a year after the infamous Watts riots.) I had little reputation as a
jazz player but was respected in the Black community for my exceptional bid
whist playing abilities. BW was a popular card game in the community at that
time and for "whitey" to dominate that game during lunch breaks and
occasional parties was seen as a rarity. Someday I'll write some notes on
what Watts was like a year after the riots. I digress.

When he found out where I was working he became very interested and spent at
least 10 or 15 minutes asking me about the LA riots, what I thought was
responsible, and my opinions of that community as a whole. Gradually the
conversation shifted to where he admitted how hurt he felt by the rejection
by the people of Watts who largely perceived him as being an "Uncle Tom." I
recall his mentioning something that could be called prioritizing, but I
doubt that was the precise term he used. The message he delivered that night
was that the most important step in achieving equality among races was for
all to simply learn how to love and get along with one-another (respect?),
and don't let the little differences get in the way. He said that too many
people were getting "hung up" on unimportant things, looking for different
(negative) meanings behind everything that was being said, looking for
trouble and creating hassles.

Then suddenly he remembered that he was "supposed" to be entertaining us and
the whole mood switched from somber to Swiss Cris and how important that
stuff was to maintain good health.

For a few minutes, those of us present got a look into Mr. Armstrong's soul,
at a moment he was thinking of a lost friend and a white kid working in the
middle of a community with which he (Louis) was having a problems
communicating. I have no idea how long I was there that evening but it was
very late when I got home. I recall thinking that for a brief few minutes
those present, including myself, had witnessed a side of Mr. Armstrong that
was not frequently seen.

I met Mr. Armstrong one other time. This was in July, 1970, backstage at the
Shrine Auditorium in LA, the occasion being one of many celebrations of his
70th birthday. At the conclusion of the concert, pianist Alton Purnell
invited my wife, Sharon, and me backstage to meet the "cast." When I saw
Louis, he was talking with Hoagy Charmichael, having just performed "Rocking
Chair" with him minutes earlier at the conclusion of the program. Mr.
Armstrong recognized me as "the white kid from Watts" and asked me if I was
still using Swiss Cris while smiling broadly. Before I could reply, he
introduced me to Hoagy. I started to tell Mr. Charmichael that I had written
a few songs when Louis interrupted me and gave me a "proper" introduction.
After hearing that I was or had been a friend of Barney Bigard, Wellman
Braud AND Louis Armstrong Mr. Charmichael gave me a card and encouraged me
to look him up if I ever got to the Palm Springs area.

Two years later I was living in Palm Springs and used that card to open up
many doors for myself as a musician in the desert.

Mr. Armstrong told many stories that night, after the rosary. I know he
spoke of early days in New Orleans and of King Oliver. I recall mentioning
that my dad had heard Fate Marable in his youth and that, as a response,
Louis had a funny story about Mr. Marable that I no longer remember. I'm
certain there were many fascinating stories told of great music and times on
that distant night that I've long forgotten. I do know that that was the
singualr event in my life where I felt that I was in the presence of one
second only to God. With respect to his musicianship, contributions to the
history of jazz, etc. I have yet to significantly change my mind. Dick B.