[Dixielandjazz] (no subject)

Dave Washburn tootn4u at juno.com
Tue Jan 18 06:17:22 PST 2005

In answer to the theory question below. -  I have never heard of a "guide" tone either. Maybe the reference is to a "leading" tone. The dominant 7th of a V chord is a leading tone, leading the ear, in effect, to resolve back to the root.
Ex. II, V, I, progression. In key of C the chords would be D (or variation) G7 and resolve to C. In this case F is the dominant 7th note of the G7 chord leading back to C. In a simple progression of IV, V, I, the progreesion would be (in key of C) C, C7, F, G7, and back to C. In this case the C7 has Bb as the dominant 7th. When you hear the Bb, it is the leading tone to the subdominant chord or Lydian.

For what it's worth,
Dave in Dallas

This may exhibit my ignorance of music but that's a term I have never
heard.
There are "passing tones" and "passing chords" but I have no
idea what a
"guide tone" is.  It sounds something like how I remember a tune.  I
remember the first note of the tune and the first note of the bridge and
everything else falls into place and I think of them as sign posts or guides
but that's my own personal thing and not in the books.

What's the example?