[Dixielandjazz] Theory question

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon Jan 17 22:04:10 PST 2005

This may exhibit my ignorance of music but that's a term I have never heard.
There are "passing tones" and "passing chords" but I have no idea what a
"guide tone" is.  It sounds something like how I remember a tune.  I
remember the first note of the tune and the first note of the bridge and
everything else falls into place and I think of them as sign posts or guides
but that's my own personal thing and not in the books.

What's the example?