[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland in Philadelphia Metro Area

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 20:21:12 PST 2005

List mates:

For anyone in, or coming to the Philadelphia USA area (100 mile radius) from
January 23 to February 24, below is a schedule of Barbone Street Events you
are welcome to visit. We are celebrating Mardi Gras, Women, Dixieland,
Jonathan Russell, School Kids and Sexy Senior Citizens during those 31 days.
Something for everybody, all OKOM, (High Energy Dixieland).

Call me for directions etc., at 610-998-0431. The two elementary school gigs
will probably be totally filled up with parents and kids since they are in
gyms and it may not be possible to get more than one or two band guests in.
However the Dickinson High School gig is in a 1200 seat auditorium so there
should be room. Come and see JONATHAN, he will blow your mind.

JANUARY

23 (Sun) Tri State Jazz Society - Brooklawn NJ, Am. Legion Post 72 Railroad
   Avenue 2:00 PM to 5:30 PM. PRESENTING 9 YEAR OLD JAZZ VIOLINIST JONATHAN
   RUSSELL and assorted young swing dancers. $15

27 (Thu) Springhouse Estates, Ambler PA 7 to 8 PM Free

FEBRUARY

1  (Tue) Riddle Village Birthday Jazz Concert, Media, 7 PM to 8 PM Free

3  (Thu) Gwynedd Estates, Mardi Gras Party, Ambler, 7 PM to 8 PM Free

4  (Fri) Mardi Gras at Minerville (Near Pottsville) 7:30 PM to Midnight

5  (Sat) Mardi Gras Party at Sydney's Jazz Cafe, Rehoboth Beach DE, BEST
   MARDI GRAS celebration East of Fat City. 9:30 PM to 1:00 AM $10 cover.
   Beads and Bikini Bottoms saying "Love Those Italians". WILD TIME.

8  (Tue) 5 Mardi Gras Band versions at area Iron Hill Breweries. 6 to 9 PM
   Five Dixieland Bands within a 30 mile radius of Media PA. Chose your
   favorite rhythm section. Standard Horn Front Line No Cover. Beads in
   Newark and Wilmington. Also Bikini Bottoms in Wilmington. :-) VBG

    Location                                  Band Leader   Rhythm Section
    Wilmington DE Riverfront 302-658-9200    Steve Barbone    Gui,Bs,Dms
    West Chester, PA 610-738-9600            Tex Wyndham      BsSax,Pno,Bnj
    Media, PA 610-627-9000                   John McClernan   Bnj,Tu,Dms
    Newark, DE 302-266-9000                  Rob Swanson      Gui,Bs,Dms
    North Wales, PA 267-708-2000             Steve Moise.     Bnj,Tu,Dms

10 (Thu) Delco Elementary School Jazz For Kids Program 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM

15 (Tue) Red Clay School District Middle/High School Music(Choral)Festival.
    BSJB Plays between performances and at intermission. John Dickinson High
    School Auditorium, Wilmington DE 6:45 PM to 9:00 PM Free

16 (Wed) Red Clay School District Middle School Band & Orchestra Festival.
    BSJB plays between performances and at intermission. Grand Opera House,
    Wilmington DE. 8:45 AM - 1:00 PM Free

17 (Thu) MARDI GRAS at Riddle Village, Media PA 2 PM to 3 PM Free

20  (Sun) Pennsylvania Jazz Society, MARDI GRAS Party Easton Moose Lodge,
    Fox Hill Road, Easton PA 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Presenting 9 year old jazz
    violinist JONATHAN RUSSELL. Working with a different rhythm section as
    the usual suspects are doing another gig. (private party so I split the
    band) This rhythm section includes pianist Al Re, double bassist Joe
    Gibilisco and Drummer Tony DiNicola. All locally famous for playing with
    Kenny Davern's Quartet weekly in NJ, for 11 years. And like us in the
    front line, over 70 years old. $18. (High School sit-in musos welcome)

24  (Wed) Chesco Elementary School Jazz For Kids Program 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM

And if you like Jazz Church Services, on March 6 (Sun) we have a quartet at
a Vesper Service, Haddonfield Presbyterian, NJ 5:00 PM Like the New Year
Burial service, this is also an annual event with us. Free Will Donation.

Plus 2 Dixieland weddings and a couple of Corporate Parties and assorted
other private events. And we thought February was a slow month. Whew.

Come say hello if you are in the area.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. If any band leaders want our "School Program" performance outline for
elementary schools, send me a note, off list. (What we do for an hour to get
down with kids 5 to 10 years old)

PPS. FLASH: Jonathan Russell just played the Harvard Club In NYC with Ed
Polcer. My oh my, that is an exclusive venue that very few of us ever get to
play. I think "J" got Ed the gig, not vice versa. Still don't understand why
jazz festival promoters aren't knocking this kid's door down, promoting his
appearance and drawing a young local crowd.

Or then again, maybe I do. :-) VBG