[Dixielandjazz] Sad, shocking news...

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 01:00:06 PST 2005

>From Phil Eggars in Sonoma...

      You may have already received this.

      Dear friends,
      It is with a very heavy heart I write to tell you that Gayla Huddleston  passed away Saturday, at the home of her daughter, Kristi, in Everett Washington.

      She was visiting the kids and grandkids while Stan was on a cruise with High Sierra to the Grand Caymans.  He was in port Saturday morning and decided to call Kristi and Gay.  After Kristi talked to her Dad for a couple of minutes, she said she would go find Gay.

      Tragically, she found her, dead, on the bathroom floor.

      Stan, and I think, Bruce, left the ship but no plane was flying out until Sunday.  At that time, he (they) flew to Miami and tried to connect to Chicago.  Chicago was not allowing any flights in or out due to extremely bad weather, so Stan flew to Dallas.

      While in Dallas, there was no flight to Seattle until Monday!

      I simply cannot fathom how he must feel not being able to get to Gay, or Kristi.  I tried calling Kristi's new home and there was no answer.

      As soon as I know anything about funeral plans, I will contact you.  In the meantime, if you want or need to call us, please do so at 916-652-0788.

      Peggy and Chuck Butler UPDATED 1/11/05

      I called Everett Monday evening and talked with Stan.  He said the doctor there seems to think Gay had a massive heart attack - probably due to high blood pressure.

      They have decided to have her cremated there and Bruce, Stan and Galya's ashes will fly home on Wednesday.  (That was her scheduled return.)

      He will place the urn on the mantle of the fireplace in their new home:  She LOVED that fireplace.

      As of this writing, no Visalia services are planned.