[Dixielandjazz] Bb Mellophone

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Jan 10 02:49:25 PST 2005

Shalom jazz fans,

Does anybody know...?

I just took delivery of a beautiful Conn Bb Mellophone that I bought on eBay. Horn and case look brand new. It comes with a French
Horn mouthpiece stamped "Vincent Bach 11". With this mouthpiece I can only play what appears to be the upper half of the horn's
range. It sounds very nice, almost like a French horn. But I sure would like to get at the lower register. The leadpipe is too
narrow to fit any other mouthpieces I have, even trumpet or cornet or alto horn. I had a similar experience with an F mellophone,
but with an alto horn mouthpiece I can play the full range of that horn.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Band