[Dixielandjazz] Playing in Churches and Savage Beasts

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 19:58:56 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/9/05 7:42:53 PM, tubaman at batnet.com writes:

> Not to be pedantic, Tom
>
> but it was William Congreve (1670-1729) who wrote, "Music has charms to
> sooth the savage breast, To soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak." in
> the play "The Mourning Bride"
>
> and that quote has been so thoroughly misquoted (and often
> miss-attributed) ever since!

Now you just made my Day Dave:

   I try to learn Something New Every Day, and this is indeed new for me,l I
never read that and am one of those who heard the misquotations of it for
decades, and from sermons in Church no doubt.

But I can attest to the fact that it does work on the Beast,   my dog loves
music and will lie down in the middle of rehearsals and go to sleep rather than
run spastically around wanting to get outside away from it.   :))   He likes
the   Soothing Sax sounds, but he bit the last Tuba Player, :))

Now the Rock Group the Savage Beasts I did know about.

Thanks for the other info:

Cheers,

Tom