[Dixielandjazz] Playing in Churches

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Jan 9 15:54:45 PST 2005

So far they haven't produced anything equal or anything close to the
originality of these people.  They do produce some pretty good copies
however.  You could also say that our society can't reproduce the era that
these men came from and so therefore we can't either, we can only copy.  So
far Jazz coexists with other forms of music but each year the Jazzers fall
and new art forms as yet un invented take it's place in the minds of the
public and even more strongly in the minds of musicians.  A hundred years
from now I think Jazz will be an art form for the few just as Mozart is for
the few.  Hopefully recorded music will teach those not yet born because the
printed page just doesn't convey jazz as the printed page conveys the heart
of Mozart.

I am just a generation past the music of the 20's and I have difficulty with
these styles it because of the swing influence to say nothing of the years I
played blues and Rock and roll.  This seems to be true with other musicians
in this area.  Very fine players haven't a clue as to early jazz styles.  I
went through five pretty good drummers before I found one that knew what the
style is all about.  The same is with banjo players that sound country
western.  If it's this difficult only one generation then what will it be
three generations from now?  I think almost extinct.  But until then enjoy -
I will.
Larry