[Dixielandjazz] ARTIE SHAW REDUX

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Jan 9 10:49:55 PST 2005

I like the 1954 sides--Hank Jones is one of the great accompanists and
solists--but the early Gramercy 5 sides sparkled with the freshness of
something new happening, with everybody in great creative form as well.
The '54 sides have all the maturity and seasoning that Ratliff writes
about, but for me, the groundbreaking, throw-your-hat-in-the-air joy of
the early sides is a more rare jazz experience.

Hatlessly,

Charlie Suhor