[Dixielandjazz] Cow Cow Blues

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Sat Jan 8 23:47:36 PST 2005

Hello Tom

I think your fake book has confused things a bit.

According to the information I have, Charles "Cow Cow" Davenport made four recordings of the tune "Cow Cow Blues".
The first one that was issued on Paramount 12452 was recorded in 1926 as "New Cow Cow Blues" (matrix 4088-2) with B.T. Wingfield on cornet and Davenport on piano.
Then, probably also in 1926, Davenport recorded a solo piano version for Gennett that was never issued.
Finally in Chicago on July 16th 1928 he made two takes (matrices C2063-1, C2063-2) with talking by Ivy Smith. The first take was issued on Vocalion 1198 and the second take on Brunswick 80022.
I've not heard or seen any of the above records so cannot confirm the composer, nor the above information.

Cheers

Bob Smith