[Dixielandjazz] More Gig Tips

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jan 8 16:34:14 PST 2005

tubaman at batnet.com writes:

> One of the best "Southern Baptist style" Gospel Chorus I have ever
> heard is the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir - they have had members
> that are Buddhists, Moslem, Practicing Jews, Shintoists and just about
> every variety of Christian over their long history - and they are
> really, really good!  I have performed with them at several festivals
> in the San Francisco Bay Area and they also have no problem with the
> religion of Jazz... ;-)
>
>  They have a website: www.oigc.org

I second that Emotion,  I too have played concerts and festivals with them
and they are wonderful and the most Professional of such choruses that I have
ever met or worked with in years of Black Gospel Music events.

The director is Terrence Kelly, son of the legendary Oakland  longtime
Educator/Keyboardist Ed Kelly who unfortunately suffered a massive stroke a couple
of years back and is now unable to perform any longer.   I saw Ed back in Dec.
at a concert in Berkeley and he unfortunately had another stroke during the
concert.  I have not heard yet how  bad it was, they took him away in an
ambulance.

An old and dear friend of many Bay Area musicians.

Tom Wiggins