[Dixielandjazz] More Gig Tips

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sat Jan 8 16:10:06 PST 2005

One of the best "Southern Baptist style" Gospel Chorus I have ever
heard is the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir - they have had members
that are Buddhists, Moslem, Practicing Jews, Shintoists and just about
every variety of Christian over their long history - and they are
really, really good!  I have performed with them at several festivals
in the San Francisco Bay Area and they also have no problem with the
religion of Jazz... ;-)

  They have a website: www.oigc.org

Oh, BTW, this afternoon I was playing a gig in the lovely town of Colma
(Graveyard for San Francisco) in the annual celebration of the life of
Emperor Norton. We played "America the Beautiful" in our last set and
when we finished a man came up and introduced himself as the
great-nephew of  Katharine Lee Bates, the composer of that poem!
(full lyrics at http://www.fuzzylu.com/falmouth/bates/america.html  )

Dave Richoux