[Dixielandjazz] Uncle Yoke's Black Dog Jazz Band

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 10:41:47 PST 2005

Listmates,

Bob Ringwald wrote (regarding the sidemen in the Black Dog Jazz Band):

>Tuba is probably Dave Gannett.  Drums, Eddie Mets Jr.  Piano Tom Hook,
>clarinet Bob Draga.

Bob is correct with Gannett on tuba, Metz on drums and Hook on piano. But
the original clarinet player was Jim Buchmann. Buchmann was the first to
leave the band pretty early in their existence as a group and was replaced
by reedman David Poe.

Does anyone know why this wildly successful band broke up when they were
still arguably the most popular band on the jazz circuit?

Also, Dave Gannett (I believe) published some Black Dawg Jazz Band
newsletters which were witty and informative. There may have been as many as
five or six of these which the band sent out to fans. Does anyone happen to
have copies of them lying around anywhere? I'd be interested in looking at
them again.

Cheers,

Bill "loved them dawgs!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com