[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixieland At Carnegie Hall

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 8 07:29:19 PST 2005

 Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote

> Dear Charlie,
> That 'Dixieland At Carnegie Hall' LP you have is exactly that.
> From two 'Dody in Dixieland' Carnegie Hall concerts, the first starting at
> 8.00pm on 1 Feb 1958 with the second one at midnight (2 Feb 1958).
> Dody Goodman, a comedienne ('dumb' blonde from the Jack Paar Show), was the
> 'headliner'.
> The event was produced by Rudy Taylor and parts from the concerts were
> broadcast by CBS.
> Apart from your Forum LP (SF 9011) the material was also issued on LP by
> Columbia, Roulette and Storyville (Danish).
> If I have this LP (which I do not recall), I can't find it.
> I am not aware of any CD reissues.
> There is always a new bit of information which pops up! I did not know that
> Jimmy McPartland had an MC role.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.
> PS: Maybe Steve Barbone recalls this concert, as he would have been a kid
> playing around the NYC scene at this time.

Bill, Charlie, List Mates:

I remember that this event at took place at Carnegie, but I did not attend
it. There was an incredible amount of jazz around NYC in those days, I was
25, playing 4 nights a week while going to University days, and when
listening, preferred the club scene to the concert scene. Plus, back then, I
was then spending more time listening to Brubeck, Monk, Dizzy, Powell,
Clifford Brown, et al.

I was also listening to, and playing with the Black swing musicians who
could no longer work Swing (the bands that had played it were dead) and did
not know how to play bop. So they played a "Kansas City" influenced New York
Dixieland style around the clubs in order to make a living. I was fortunate
enough to have been in the right place at the right time to hear it, as well
as play it with guys (like Roy Eldridge, Coleman Hawkins, Vic Dickinson, and
others) who eked out a living in their final years playing this style.

Though it had a viable NYC audience, the record producers felt it wouldn't
sell and most of it was never recorded. And so it is largely unknown around
the world. However, it remains one of the most exciting, vivid and swinging
Dixieland styles that I have ever heard and influences what Barbone Street
JB does to this day.

I did, however, buy the Carnegie album, Roulette, under Jimmy's name, but
about a decade ago, gave it away to a young jazz trumpet wannabe as I did
most of my other records.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Oh yeah, Bill. Dody Goodman. Thanks for reminding me about her. :-) VBG