[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Church Services - Redux.

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Jan 7 10:58:02 PST 2005

barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> We have played in Presbyterian (several), Episcopal, Catholic, Lutheran, Non
> Denominational, Methodist and Unitarian churches at jazz services/vespers
> over the past couple of years.
>
> Yes, churches are a great place to play. Acoustics are usually excellent and
> the congregants respond to the music.
>
> We charge $100 a man, no leader fee. Usual time 1 hour. This is below our
> usual band fee and viewed as part contribution to a worthy cause.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> Hi Steve and all:

Having been involved with Booking and promoting Gospel Music for many years I
have had substantial experience dealing with Churches, which is not always an
easy thing to do.

Please allow me to jump in here with a couple of suggestions you all might
find helpful.

1.  The above Church denominations, without a doubt are the best sources to
pursue this kind of gig, and depending upon where they are and how large their
congregation and membership is will determine how much money you may be able
to charge.

1.   The Presbyterian churches generally do not listen to Christian or Gospel
music every day of the week or even often as compared to the Baptist and
other Evangelical sects.   They do however like it on Sunday when they go to
Church and once or twice a month they tend to have a Christian or Inspirational
Concert at their church and will pay very well for same.   However do not expect
to sell many CDs as they just don't seem interested most of the time, at least
in my experiences.  A couple of years back I booked a concert in a big church
in a Moraga, California where I live, and the congregation is very well
heeled financially.  The church is situated right across the road from the 6th Hole
on the golf course with a beautiful view of the valley.  About 1500 members.
Attendance approximately 800 at the event.

I had very fine four piece Gospel vocal group with a pianist perform there
for one hour, and they performed old Spirituals and original Contemporary
Christian songs and received an encore and a standing ovation, but only sold TWO
recordings after the event.  They had however been paid an honorarium of
$3,500.00 so they were obviously happy campers.

I had also booked them for a concert that evening over in a nearby city at a
Baptist Church with over 3000 members, where the Preacher would only offer
them a "LOVE" offering, There were at least 2000 people in attendance, they had
the same response as they had at the Presbyterian Church earlier.  I watched
the love offering pour into the baskets in very substantial numbers with lots of
Ten and twenty dollar bills hitting the baskets row after row.  At the
conclusion of the evening after the social period with the congregation where we
sold about $2,000.00 worth of CDs and cassettes, the preacher's wife slipped us a
sealed envelope with the "LOVE" offering in it, a check for $500.00.

Now I have booked the same act and similar acts into Baptist Churches with
only 200 people in the audience or ones with four or five hundred and
mysteriously the "Envelope"
has always contained $500.00 give or take $50.00 at the end.  It is a good
thing the audiences like the music and buy the cassettes and CDs or the acts
could not afford to travel around and play for them.

Many churches have unwritten attitudes which they will of course deny, that
discourages their members from participating at other Churches activities
unless they are directly connected Pastor to Pastor and are in on the split of any
Money being taken in.
One would certainly not think this would be the case, but I have seen it
enough times to make a point out of it, particularly in the Evangelical churches.
They are however not shy about inviting other church members to come over and
worship with them and of course contribute to the Love Offerings and do
everything they can to woo them into switching churches to increase their flock.
Many of them also have requirements that any musical act have signed letters of
endorsements from their own Pastors and at least three other sect affiliated
churches to endorse their Christianity and worthiness to be able to MINISTER
to their congregation.  But enough on this, I could write a book, and probably
should on this subject. :))

On the other hand the Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopal, non-denominational and
Unitarians seem to have a much broader sense of appreciation for the music and
the artist and experience the event for what it is rather than some life
changing Religious experience in the same way as a regular Hell Fire and Brimstone
Church service, or what they term as a Praise and Worship Service.

That being said, folks, there are 350,000 + churches in the USA, many of them
in close proximity to liquor stores and nightclubs, so you should not have
too much trouble getting some bookings if you go work the market and Sell
yourselves.  ( Hint,  they are not going to come into the nightclub to find you and
book you in 99% of the cases) so once a gain you have to get off the couch and
go beat the streets to find the work and the money.  Remember a Church is a
BUSINESS too and unlike most of you, Tax exempt, so when you do reduced fee
performances, be smart enough to get a signed contract for your full fee amount
with the stipulation clause that says you will DONATE back to the organization
what ever amount you fell obliged to do so and get a signed receipt for the
contribution and deduct it on your income tax returns.  Either as a direct
contribution or Promotion and Advertising expenses.  Try to negotiate other
bookings at the event and PROMOTE your self and your music to anybody who will listen
and it is certainly tax deductible.  Check with your tax accountant, and if
he/she tells you other wise, get another accountant.  Money makes the World Go
Round and without it things stop spinning pretty fast even for the Churches.
Everybody NEEDS money especially Musicians.

Now Praise the Lord and pass the Love Offering baskets and when you get
successful send a little Love offering to OLE:

Rev. Tom-Bob Wiggins.     so I can continue my good work as well.