[Dixielandjazz] Opera recordings, Abbey Road etc

Beth Villanyi bethv at portafortuna.com
Thu Jan 6 11:27:30 PST 2005

Anton,

I couldn't agree more. If you take Steve's thinking further, then any studio
recording that has been mixed at all is a "fake" and only live performances
of any music should be considered "real".

I sent the original article to several of my colleagues and all were
saddened by the prospect of losing the studio recordings. One commented that
he preferred studio opera recordings because the audience distractions are
removed and the beautiful music comes through in all its glory. Another
mentioned how much he likes opera on film for the same reasons. Domingo's
"Tosca" with Sherrill Milnes is one of my favorites - a classic.

Everyone has their own tastes.

Happy New Year everyone,
Beth