[Dixielandjazz] (was band leaders)To bands with Web sites

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Tue Jan 4 11:46:57 PST 2005

Hello and Happy New Year to all!

I am presently scrambling to collect musician names for all the kind souls
who are donating their time and talent to our STJS Rent Party next Sunday.
This is written in a rush, so may not be complete but is a start:

What I would like to say to bands who do PRO-BONO work is this:
1) If you aren't getting paid, at least make sure you're getting your name
in the printed program since free advertising is the least you can expect
from your generosity. Make sure the organization you're working with has
each and every band member's name -- correctly spelled -- and what
instrument they play. Also, send them a current band photo.

What I would like to say to those bands who have WEB SITES is:

1) GREAT! Now people can gather current and accurate info about you.

2) Consider the fact that media types rely on your site for current and
accurate info about you AND that they don't have a lot of time to go fishing
for basic facts. So, from your very simple home page (containing photo and
brief intro of where you are and what style you play, plus some news
flashes), have links to "the basics" -- i.e. how to contact you, who's in
your band (incl. correct spelling, instrument, bio, and photo), what your
schedule is, what recordings you have for sale, etc...

As a media person, it's nice to find a site with band member info spelled
out in plain view so all I do is highlight it, copy, and then paste it into
my publication. My job is graphic design and production; it's the band
leader's job to provide correct information to print.

In the past, I mentioned Butch Thompson's site as one that is very well done
and especially helpful to us media types since there is a link to a "Press
Room" page that includes info and photos. Let your site work FOR you, 24/7!

May you all have a prosperous year.
Love and hugs,
Nancy
in Sacramento