[Dixielandjazz] Do you or your band play weddings?

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue Jan 4 08:56:04 PST 2005

Don't laugh at weddings.  I at one time almost made a career out of them
until the DJ's came along.  There is no longer the traditional Catholic
wedding in the parish hall with a band but there is the High end wedding and
if you can tap into that trade it's lots of bucks.  They often go 5 hours
with tips.  The lowest is $125 per side man and has been as high as $350.
And that's for a 9 pc group (6 pc with 3 singers)  We play two or three of
them a month
The unfortunate thing is that they aren't OKOM and tend to be pretty high
energy bands.  Typically 1 hour dinner and three rock-pop.  The leader that
I play for has a neat angle.  After we play the Bride and Grooms request he
takes the music off the stand.  Everyone autographs their part and gives it
to the bride and groom for their 50th wedding anniversary band to play.
They love it.
Larry