[Dixielandjazz] Jazz In New Orleans

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Jan 3 10:09:21 PST 2005

Whenever I'm in N.O., I try to get the Friday "Lagniappe" section of
the Picayune or pick up a copy of the "Gambit" or "Offbeat" weeklies at
one of many restaurants that give them away. Listings of bands and
clubs are in these, and maybe other sources I'm forgetting.(Online, try
www.gambit-no.com and www.nola.com) Steve's list is a good one. See
also who's at the Maple Leaf uptown. For modern jazz and some N.O. R&B
Snug Harbor is the most popular venue (Ellis Marsalis used to be there
on Fridays), and the Columns on St. Charles Ave. is often good. Check
out the Funky Butt also. One top modern group is Astral Project, if
they're working. Go online for www.nola.com and find offbeat on Google
for more. My knowledge is sketchy nowadays, but I hope it's useful.

Charlie Suhor