[Dixielandjazz] Jazz In New Orleans

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 07:39:56 PST 2005

"Elazar Brandt" <jazzmin at actcom.net.il> wrote

> Wish it were me, but not this time. I have a new lady friend who will be
> visiting New Orleans at the end of January for about a
> month. She has a high school girl friend there, but don't know how savvy the
> girl friend is about the jazz scene or what to see
> there. My friend says she loves Louis and all kinds of jazz, and possibly she
> sings some too. (I don't know her that well yet...
> hoping to take care of that when she returns to Israel.)
>
> Can any of you locals possibly offer some info and pointers for a couple of
> 40-something ladies about what's happening of interest,
> where to go, what to see and who to hear, etc? Last time I was in N.O. was 15
> years ago, so I'm not so current, though I do have
> some fond memories I would recommend if they're still around.
>
> By the way, as always, my offer stands to provide such services for any
> listmates visiting Israel, as I have already done for some.
> I am self-employed, can make plenty of free time, and am always glad to show
> visitors around, both sight-seeing and the music scene.
> Can usually arrange opportunities to play (not usually for pay, sorry, but you
> never know). So feel free to take me up on my offer.
> And don't be afraid. I'd bet the Old City of Jerusalem is safer than the
> French Quarter! I haven't lost anyone yet.

Elizar & List mates:

For Jazz happenings in New Orleans suggest checking the following sources:
Suggest calling venues to verify the programs.

New Orleans Jazz Club Hotline: 504-455-6847
Louisiana Jazz Federation Hotline: 504-522-5267
Landmark Hotel; Metairie. NOJC Jam Session Last Sunday of month 1-5 PM.
Preservation Hall; 726 St Peter's St. Different Band each night (obligatory
    for tourists)
Palm Court 1204 Decatur Street; Wed - Sun nights 8 PM. (Dinner available)
    George Buck's place, great record selection available to purchase also.
Fritzels. 733 Bourbon St. Mon - Sat
Bienville House Hotel, 320 Decatur St. Wed - Sun 7:15 or 9:15 2 shows
    This is a LOUIS ARMSTRONG  "Salute to Satchmo Show". 504-569-1401
Riverboat "Nachez" Tolouse Street Dock Cruises at 11:30 AM, 2:30 PM, & PM
    Duke Heitger's Steamboat Stompers Daytime, Dukes of Dixieland nightly
Maison Bourbon, Bourbon Street, Jazz every day.
Old Point Bar, Algiers LA. Andrew Hall Society Jazz Band Fridays, 8 - 11PM
    Jack Fine's Palmetto Bug Stompers Sundays, 4:30 to 7:30 PM.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. If she is a Louis fan, absolutely suggest the Bienville House show and
the trip to Algiers to hear Jack Fine. Though White and Jewish, he is one of
the last of the New Orleans Uptown Style trumpeters and a old pal of mine. I
haven't heard him in 15 years, but we used to work together in NYC in the
50s, and in Philadelphia in the early 1990s. He would be about 75-78, and is
a very fiery player. I suspect the venue is a neat funky place. If they go
there, tell Jack hello for me. Suggest calling all venues to make sure info
is current.