[Dixielandjazz] Today's Jazz Funeral Service for 2004

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 2 18:52:47 PST 2005

This morning (Sunday) Barbone Street played a New Orleans Jazz Funeral for
then year 2004. We first did this gig 2 years ago at the Unitarian
Universalist Church in Cherry Hill NJ.

We lost it last year to a cheaper band. They saw the error of their ways,
and have booked us for the first Sunday following New Years Eve in
perpetuity or until the Reverend or I take that heavenly journey, whichever
comes first. :-) VBG.

There is no reason why every Dixieland Band in the USA should not replicate
this gig with your local church each year.

THEME: N.O. Jazz Funeral for 2004 - Band dressed in dark suits.

BAND:  Quartet (Clt/Tpt/Bjo/Tuba) + welcomed Church Member sit-ins

TIME/PAY: 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM  - $100 per man

SPECIAL EFFECTS: One (1) regular open empty coffin up front next to Band

Schedule / Music

SUMMONS TO WORSHIP
WELCOME & ANNOUNCEMENTS
PRELUDE
        "Walking With The King" + Vocal

INTRODUCTION TO A NEW ORLEANS JAZZ FUNERAL
brief description of what happens at a N.O. Funeral

OPENING HYMN # 162 (congregation sings)
        "Gonna Lay Down My Sword and Shield"
        (Down by the Riverside)

WAKE FOR THE OLD YEAR
        "Just A Little While To Stay Here." + vocal

PRAYER AND MEDITATION ON THE OLD YEAR

FUNERAL HYMN # 199  (congregation sings)
        "Precious Lord Take My Hand"

BURYING THE PAST / DIRGE FOR 2004
Congregation writes down the one thing they would like to forget or bury
that happened in 2004 on a small slip of paper. They file up to the casket
one at a time and deposit the slip into it. At end of dirge, bandleader and
reverend gently close casket lid.
        "Just A Closer Walk With Thee"

PASTORAL PRAYER / MEDITATION / HOPES FOR NEW YEAR
RESPONSIVE READING / OUR SHARED RESPONSIBILITY
HOW FORTUNATE WE ARE / OFFERING
        "What A Wonderful World"

HOW THE N.O. FUNERAL ENDS / INTRODUCTION TO A SECOND LINE
BENEDICTION / JOYFUL SEND-OFF AND SECOND LINE AROUND CHURCH.
        "When The Saints Go Marchin' In."

We got an absolutely phenomenal reception. Plus the Rev admitted their
mistake taking a lesser (cheaper) band last year. 6 guys did it for $300.
Congregation was blown away by the difference and told us so today. Which is
why they asked us back after a one year absence.

I described each tune (very briefly) and told the Thomas Dorsey background
for Precious Lord. For "Just a Little While" talked one sentence about how
short a time 2004 really was, and one more on how short a time we get to
spend on Earth. That kind of fill.

Like I say, this kind of thing is EASY, LOCAL, and puts $100 in a sideman's
pocket. The sit-ins play free and are tickled pink to play with you. We
ended up with an 8 piece group including 4 sit-ins. Hint: If you do it this
way,  Make sure your quartet is STRONG.

It capped our New Years weekend perfectly. Three gigs and long green. Only
down side is that next year, we may have a triple on New Years Eve, 5 hours
total (double and 4 hours already booked) and then this service the
following morning because NYE is Sat Night.

Just like the good old days when we were kids and immortal. ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. If anybody is REALLY interested, I'll try and get the service plan
outline & background notes from the Church. Or if a church is REALLTY
interested, I'll put you/them directly in touch with the Reverend Melanie
Morel-Ensminger. Drop me a note off list.