[Dixielandjazz] Shaw & Goodman

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Sat Jan 1 15:23:05 PST 2005

In personal conversations with Shaw, Artie said his focus was on the
gestalt - the whole being greater than the some of the parts. His focus, in
other words, was on the final sound of the orchestra.  Shaw maintained that
Goodman's focus was far more on the clarinet and the music he could produce
on it.  To Shaw, BG's band was incidental as if to be the means that allowed
BG to display his talents on clarinet.

Ellington  always claimed that his instrument was his orchestra and
described himself as "the piano player" in a self-effacing manner.  While
Shaw's comments were similar to Ellington, I would never describe Artie as
being "self-effacing."

As to who was or wasn't a jerk, I would never wish either Shaw or Goodman to
have been my best friend.  Same with Buddy Rich, Tommy Dorsey or Glenn
Miller.  There were a lot of great band leaders who were not necessarily the
nicest of people.  Perhaps, if they were nicer people, their bands wouldn't
have been as successful.

Anyone want to discuss who the good and bad guys were from that era?  Might
make an interesting thread.  Then again, what do I know.  Woody Herman used
to be my financial advisor.

Dick Broadie