[Dixielandjazz] Dan Levinson at Charlie O's in NYC

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 27 14:21:24 PST 2005

Got this from Dan Levinson who is probably too modest to put it on the list.
If you are in NYC on a weekend, go see him. The price for brunch is
incredibly low for a NYC joint.

DAN . . . BREAK A LEG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Starting SUNDAY, MARCH 6, I will be beginning a weekly jazz brunch with
pianist MICHAEL "SPIKE" WILNER at CHARLEY O's TIMES SQUARE GRILL We will
perform Sundays from NOON to 3 p.m.  There is no cover, and at $12.99, the
brunch is almost cheaper than staying home!

<http://www.rieserestaurants.com/restaurants.asp?rest_id=1019> .

Those of you not familiar with SPIKE WILNER should be and will be.  He is an
extremely gifted young pianist who has studied the music of stride pianists
Willie "The Lion Smith," James P. Johnson and others.  Vocalist MOLLY RYAN
<http://www.mollyryan.us/>  will also appear as our special guest for the
first few weeks.

Believe it or not, the last time I had a steady weekly engagement as a
leader was in 1990.  Till now, my schedule has made it nearly impossible to
commit to anything, but I decided it was high time I had a place where I
could just come in and "blow"--no set list, no theme, just a relaxed
atmosphere where a pianist and I could play whatever inspired us at the
moment, take requests, work out some arrangements if we wanted, and above
all have a good time.

CHARLEY O's TIMES SQUARE GRILL is also the home of VINCE GIORDANO'S
NIGHTHAWKS on Monday and Tuesday nights from 8:30 to 11:30.  And now from 8
to 11 on Wednesday nights, CHARLEY O's TIMES SQUARE GRILL is featuring
JOHNNY TUPELO AND THE SIDEKICKS (actually John Gill on guitar and vocals,
Brian Nalepka on bass and Dave Brown on drums) playing rock 'n' roll of the
'50s and '60s, some Elvis, and some rockabilly.  Yes, that's right--we all
wear many hats in this business.

CHARLEY O's TIMES SQUARE GRILL is located at 1611 Broadway (at 49th Street)
in Manhattan.  The phone number is (212) 246-1960, but if you have questions
about the music, it's better to email me or call me at (212) 533-1704.  You
can also email me your requests.

In order to keep this Sunday brunch going, we have to prove that we can
bring people in, so I urge you to please come and support us--and enjoy the
music and the food.