[Dixielandjazz] on the Trombone

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Feb 24 09:25:10 PST 2005

Marty wrote:
First of all Jim, I doubt if there are many bone players that have "kept it
up as Steady" as you have "for those 53 years."

I answer:
That may be true, as I don't believe more than a week has gone by without
playing over that whole period, except maybe when I was ill with meningitis.

Marty wrote:
I have read of your exploits for years here on the list. It's fantastic what
you have been able to do in Spain. Are you still there?

I answer:
I count my blessings daily, honest!  It's great to have a good band to play
with, have gigs, and respect from our audiences.  Yes, I'm still in
Madrid....hitting year 38 here now, so I doubt if I will ever move.  I don't
do recording session work any longer, as there are no more recordings done
where a whole brass section is required, and the younger guys get called in
for the one or two horns that do the work of a whole section now.  I've
worked like that, but don't really enjoy it.  Anyway, I've got our band to
keep me happy gigwise.

Marty wrote:
But I will stick with what I said that from the start of Jazz, many of the
trombonists were pumping that rythmic "tailgate" and less articulate form of
jazz.

I answer:
Yes, I caught that, but was afraid you were referring to only the real
"greats" being articulate, and that for most others the bone is clumsy.  I,
for my part, am so happy I ended up playing such a chalenging horn, and am
grateful that I have gotten as far as I have. It still requires daily
practice (if I don't have a gig), and the constant drive for
improvement....and, I'm going to be 64 next month!  Did you check out that
trombone site for the all girl band?  Really great players.

Cheers, Jim