[Dixielandjazz] Pennsylvania Jazz Society Note - Barbone Street & The Kid

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 11:06:53 PST 2005

List Mates:

See the note below. This is what Jazz Societies, Jazz Festivals and Jazz
Presenters are missing by not getting involved with 9 year old jazz
violinist Jonathan Russell, or other young prodigy players. What our band
did, is not important as far as his performance is concerned. Any group of
Audience Oriented Jazz Musicians who know how to present a young player can
do it. (Problem is there aren't too many of those jazz bands around yet.)

I was privileged to watch the audience concentrate on Master Russell while
he was soloing. It was magic and as we all agreed, ten years from now we'll
be saying Jonathan Russell? I knew him when.

Provided you give a damn about passing the music on.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Email Letter from Officer at Pennsylvania Jazz Society:

Hiya Steve,

Thanks for putting on such a great concert yesterday. This will be a concert
that will be talked about for a long time. The audience knew something
special was happening yesterday. And the most amazing thing was how quiet
the audience was when Jonathan was playing. That's the ultimate compliment
for a musician and rarely happens at jazz concerts. People were captivated
and listening to every note by Jonathan and the band. Everybody in your band
was top notch. Your band held the audience from start to finish. The many
standing ovations and thunderous applause proved that. Also, many people
stayed until the end which is unusual since the threat of snow was looming.
I had one gentlemen say this reminded of the hot club music. Many people
were asking me if Jonathan had a CD. He would have sold a lot if he did.
Thanks again for suggesting him to us and for the great concert yesterday.