[Dixielandjazz] RE: Smackaroony - Different music programs

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 20 10:38:14 PST 2005

Tamas  et.al.

Although I use SIbelius, I also have Finale.
So please send me the Finale version, when you have it done..
I'd like to read it into Sibelius to put it into the format of my other
lead sheets.

"Moving the music around"
I've been looking into music program compatibility so here is what I've
learned by trying....
Here goes more than you want to know........

In Sibelius 3 there is  a rather poor translation facility for reading
the "etf"  (extended transportable format) file format from Finale.
However, I will admit that in this area, Encore users will be S.O.L,
("seriously out of luck" - at least that's the translation I gave my mama)

It is theoreitically possible for you to go from Encore to Finale as as the
latter claims to be able to read Encore files, but I don't think it works
for the most recent Encore release. The reverse is not possible.

Also....
For those who don't realize it, though I believe on the Finale site
(makemusic.com ???) there is a FREE Finale Reader which allows you
to see and print Finale Files. -- Still, most everyone who has a computer
has Adobe reader and the PDF output might be the best to put on your
web site.

For anyone interested,
There's also an effort to use MusicXML as a translation between music
programs (see recordare.com) but not all vendors have implemented it.
You can go Sibelius to Finale but not the reverse.
Some of the other programs like Igor, Score etc. also are using this.
There is nothing in this field being done with Encore, to my knowledge
as no-one can get their format to write such a program.

And finally, Photoscore and Smartscore are 2 programs for scanning music
to put into Sibelius and Finale, respectively. They do a pretty decent job
( I suppose, depending on the fonts you use) in taking the pdf output of
Encore, Finale, Sibelius as well as commercially engraved music into
a format into a file to be read by the respective music programs.\
(Say 90% accurate) -
For handprinted  music, they are less than successful.
(but, I personally use them anyway for my own reasons.)

Regards,
Craig

For other folks