[Dixielandjazz] Grammys - getting their due? -- what to do?

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Tue Feb 15 21:06:27 PST 2005

I share much of my listmates' lament over what is currently "hot"
(is this an archaic term?). My wife and I continually share the
question "and they call this MUSIC?".

When I was in high school (1948-1953), a few of our Boston-area AM
radio stations (that we listened to most afternoons) were fully
involved in the Dixie revival of the time, and my dad, a Benny
Goodman fan, was introducing me to BG's chamber-music stuff (trio,
quartet, quintet, sextet, septet -- was there ever an octet?), and
I was playing my heart out after my year of studying piano (from
age 10 to 11) -- how to play with chords and a 1-note melody
(classic fake-book stuff)-- thanks to my teacher, a great guy who
played in movie houses to accompany silent films.

So I came to music (still now a fan of classical, esp. chamber
music, which is a bit like OKOM, in a number of ways) as an eager
(from age 10 to 11) receptor of "what's next?".

Steve Barbone has offered us much good advice about how to hook
today's kids -- at the high-schol level -- on OKOM, if you are a
band.

I have a new granddaughter as of a couple of days ago, thanks to my
41-yr-old son's finally falling in love, and would love to help
her, through her infancy and beyond, hear and learn to love, OKOM.
I'll play for her whenever I can, on my keybord or my piano,
(thanks to local connections, after 45 years of not playing gigs, I
have become the piano-player of last resort for a few Boston-area
OKOM groups), on records, off the Web, or whatever.

Any suggestions for how I can enhance this connection through her
childhood years?  Looking for suggestions that might be useful for
other listmates with grandkids that they would like to inculcate
with OKOM?

Larry Swain

Laurence Swain
l.swain at comcast.net