[Dixielandjazz] Grammys - getting their due?

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 15 15:38:47 PST 2005

Hi Tom and everyone,

I fully agree.  The "public" has been force fed so much crap that they don't
expect any better from commercial music. And why should we?  I think that
may be changing in that people are now realizing they have better choices
and there are new media outlets (and rebirthing old ones) that can provide
something other than the MTV crap.  With the advent of iPod (which I don't
yet have, but have heard good things about), Internet radio like Live 365,
and XM Satellite radio, listeners are being offered choices.  And they're
starting to realize that.

I'd completely given up on radio.  I haven't listened to it since WDET
(Detroit's local NPR affiliate and by far THE worst public radio station
I've ever heard), fired their best DJs a few years back and switched to a
predominately "smooth adult contemporary" format.  Even their jazz program
(hosted by Ed Love) is awful.  But I got this XM radio for Christmas and was
amazed that they have a wide variety of decent programs.  Their jazz station
on Friday night prime time is all New Orleans based OKOM (from the 1920's to
contemporary OKOM groups).  Imagine Bix getting heavy airplay!  It's true of
other styles as well, excellent classical and even alternative rock
programming.  Between that and the Internet stations, I listen to the "new
radio" all the time.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but it's a good thing, and makes
the "music" at the GRAMMYs competely irrelevant  On the Internet stations,
I've even heard several of our listmates bands getting airplay!

They can keep their commercial radio and GRAMMYs and all that other crap.
Now that there are some people in the business who are realizing that there
a lot of us out here, with a few dollars to spend, who want quality music
and choices, things will improve.