[Dixielandjazz] Grammys - getting their due?

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Feb 15 13:43:27 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/15/05 12:33:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Vaxtrpts at aol.com writes:

> They don't even show any presentations of "good music" awards on the TV
> show,
> they just announce before commercials about "previously awarded categories."
> Yes, Ray Charles may have gotten some posthumous awards, but the still
> wasn't
> enough to make me watch.  Some years I have looked in at times while
> watching
> something else, but this year I didn't even look once.
> Mike Vax

Hi Mike and all:

The show has become totally predictable from all the BS & pre show hype
associated with it every year.  Any person who watches the news or any
entertainment commentary show or listens to any radio station already knows who is going
to win EIGHT GRAMMIES.

No need to tune in and watch, or worse yet buy a ticket and attend unless of
course you are just into hanging out at show biz parties and sucking up to the
current group of self appointed or incestly appointed members of the academy.

No Artists needs or deserves EIGHT Damned trophies for this achievement, and
especially one as successful as Ray Charles, a wonderful tribute of playing
his music and giving him the Lifetime Achievement award would certainly have
been sufficient and garnered just as much hype and press as giving him Seven that
should have gone to others who worked just as hard or maybe even harder to
try and compete in the industry.

Same crap happens every year, they anoint one artist and give them the
"TREATMENT" usually at the behest of the artists Major Record label, which reflects
upon how many pieces of product they sold, and or the amount of product they
expect to sell from all the publicity following the Grammy Awards Party.  In
the case of a fine but dead artist Like Ray Charles, it is all but wasted except
for the reasons I stated above to help the Record Label sell more product.

People are starting to wise up, after seeing it happen over and over again,
Alicia Keys, Nora Jones, Michael Jackson, and on and on.

For the most part the Grammy committee has drastically lowered the Bar for
quality on selections for nominations and winning.  You must remember however
that any record label can nominate any recording for a Grammy in any and all
categories if you want to fill out the paperwork and send in a box of free
recordings for the "Reviewing Committee" who decides along with the "in the know"
executives of the Grammies and the Record Labels as to who is going to get the
hype package this year.

It's all in who you know, and do they have enough clout to get you on the
ballot to even be considered by the voting members at large, who I doubt have
much to do with it anyway, since it is indeed all about the money and what sold
and what they intend to sell.

One of my long time artists also actually WON a Grammy and it never did a
thing for his career, except hang on the wall as an ATTA BOY.

Another sometime member of my band has Three Gold Records hanging on the
wall, and he owes me a lot of money which I will more than likely never see again.
 When he shows up he makes a lot more money working for me than anybody else
will pay him.  Most will not even put up with him.  Too bad too, because he is
a fantastic entertainer, just can't keep his life together in anything
relating to reality.

Cheers,
Tom Wiggins
Former voting Member and two time nominee, for Producer of the Year, BIG
DEAL, that and twenty bucks slipped to the Maitre' D might get you a window seat
at a Denny's.