[Dixielandjazz] Kenton Radio Broadcast & Mike Vax

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 06:18:27 PST 2005

A SNIP FROM THE STAN KENTON LIST. Note in paragraph 3 that list mate Mike
Vax has a number that will be broadcast. His band includes the venerable old
jazz master, Clark Terry.

Way to go Mike.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Mike Vax, as some may not know, is a broad gauged jazz musician. He is
also an OKOMer viz a viz the Draga-Vax Connection. (with Bob Draga)

Folks,

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, WAMC (Northeast Public Radio out of
Albany, NY, and www.WAMC.org) will again broadcast a tribute and
retrospective of our favorite bandleader, Feb.15-18, during the Jazz Tonight
timeslot, 11pm-midnight (Eastern). Normally a three-night show, this year's
tribute has been extended for a fourth night, to include what I call "The
Kenton Effect," meaning current music that is being made by Stan's
contemporaries.

Bob Curnow reflects on the many bands that are playing Kenton music today
(thanks, I hasten to add, to his Sierra Music Publications, which makes the
scores available to academic and commercial bands). His 'Kenton Kollage' is
included on Tuesday's playlist, and his tribute to Stan, 'Of Another Time,'
will be heard on Friday.

On Friday, (Feb 18) there is essentially no Kenton music: the show is
contemporary music, including samples from Bob Florence's solo piano album;
Kim Richmond's new small-group release with Clay Jenkins; Carl Saunders in a
small-group setting; a number from Terry Vosbein's Gil Evans-like suite with
Marvin Stamm as guest soloist; AND A RETURN OF MIKE VAX, with a number from
his small-group album with Clark Terry.