[Dixielandjazz] FAKING IT TO RECORDED OR SYNTHESIZED MUSIC

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 17:46:07 PST 2005

John Pappas at OArkas at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 2/12/05 2:52:44 PM, barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:
Reminds me of a time I went into a North Beach topless joint, on Broadway in
San Francisco circa 1967 (lived there for 5 years) to see an all girl jazz
quartet play . . . topless.

In pursuit of art mind you. :-) VBG

John Pappas Replied:
Hey, Steve:
I remember that place too!    I think the drummer actually played when we
were there and she was not very good (as a musician)   LOL    :-D

To which Barbone says:
Probably a different drummer. Our drummer was playing also, but she was
good. Sounded like Booby Dodds and had a lots of jiggley inner rhythm going
on. :-) VBG.

I think Tom Wiggins saw them too, more than once, in between visits to see
Yvonne D'Angiers, or Carol Doda or Gaye Spieglemen, Topless Mother of 8,
while I lingered, drinking coffee next to Jack Kerouac and reading leftist
literature at the City Lights Bookstore to the background music of Pete
Seeger.

Musical content? "I Left My Heart In San Francisco."

Some great times in Sodom by the Bay in the 1960s. All a very definite part
of being a musician . . .IMO, one must first learn about LIFE. About people,
places, fine wines, greed, grit, trash, love, lust, crooks, bigots and all
kinds of music as well as one's particular favorite. All a part of the dues
one pays, before one can "really" converse musically.

To me, typified by the differences between Shaw and Goodman, but that's
another subject.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone