[Dixielandjazz] Oboes, real and sampled

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 12 10:32:51 PST 2005

Listmates,

Need oboes? Can't find an oboe player? No problem . . . just midi 'em up
from a keyboard. Sampled sounds are getting more and more lifelike and to my
ears the oboe is one of the cleanest midi sounds around.

I know, I know -- this is heresy, and totally beside the point, but when the
score calls for an oboe and there isn't one around . . .

There is no question that the oboe is one of the most important instruments
in a symphony orchestra. As a matter of fact, symphonies usually tune up at
the start of a concert by listening to a solo A (without vibrato) played by
the oboe . . . that's how "clean" a tone the oboe produces.

You know, in the classical piece "Pines of Rome" (Respighi) there is a
section that calls for bird calls. Birds are notorious at not being able to
read music and the score actually lists the recording to be played during
the performce. There are instruments that can emulate bird calls but
Respighi chose to go with the "sampled" sound.  Why not a "sampled" oboe if
a real oboist isn't available?

Imagine a symphonic performance - 75 musicians on the stage - all the reeds
grouped over there in a little clump (but no oboe player). An oboe passage
comes up and a keyboard player over in the percussion sections plays the
bit. I guarantee you that the audience will NOT suspect the substitution.
You could even get a clarinet player to hold an oboe to complete the
illusion. You can even make the sound actually emanate from the woodwind
section of the orchestra. Trust me, no one would know. Hell, you could
probably even fool the conductor if he wasn't in on the gag.

The piano player in our band has a spiffy keyboard that produces more sounds
than simply the piano. The vibes sound is particularly lifelike from his
keyboard. You can even hear the "knock" when the mallet strikes the note.
Now he doesn't play any instruments that use mallets but that doesn't stop
him from sounding like one!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "This is only partly tongue in cheek" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmaillcom

Bill