[Dixielandjazz] Re: Here Comes Your Pappy

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 11 19:33:20 PST 2005

Dear Ed,
"Here Comes Your Pappy (With The Wrong Kind Of Load)" is a long-time
favourite of mine, ever since buying the Clark Randall 29 March 1935 version
on a now-deleted Jazum 22 LP in the 1970s. As you mention it is now
available on Halycon CD DHDD142 (also in my collection). I also have it on
an Everest 4005 5LP 'Glenn Miller' set.
The same arrangement was used by the Bob Crosby orch for a 26 Feb 1936 Muzak
transcription (Jazum 48, Rarities 41, London HMG 5021, and Nostalgia Arts
NOCD 3018 - all of which I have).
Putney Dandridge recorded it on 3 Aug 1936 (Rarities 34 LP and Timeless CD
CBC 1-023) - I have this too.
Nappy Lamare recorded it for Capitol on 27 Oct 1947 (Mosaic MD12-170). Yes,
I have it!
Your comment that "Nappy later performed the number at the occasion of the
Joe Sullivan Benefit Concert  in Chicago" is news to me. It is certainly not
on the LP (Jasmine JASM 2512) and CDs (Soundcraft SC-5009, Circle CCD-174)
featuring the broadcast of this 18 April 1937 concert. Which is not to say
that the Crosby band did not play it on the concert. Can you confirm this?

Ok. Now for the composers.
Given as:
Hamilton, Tobias, Lemare on the the original 78 Brunswick 7436 (according to
a file note I have).
Hamilton, Tobias, Lemare on the London (UK 1976) LP (Bob Crosby).
C Daniels, G Hamilton, H Tobias on the Everest LP set (Glenn Miller).
Hamilton, Tobias, Lamare on the Halcyon CD (Clark Randall).
Hamilton, Tobias, Lamare on the Nostalgia Arts CD (Bob Crosby).
Hamilton, Tobias, Lamare on the Timeless CD (Putney Dandridge).
Hamilton, Tobias, Lamare on the Mosaic CD (Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions).

George 'Spike' Hamilton (1901-1957) led the Barbary Coast Orchestra for a
while in the early 30s. Hamilton, Harry Tobias (1895-1994) and Charles Neil
Moret (C Neil Daniels. 1878-1943) wrote "Wild Honey" in 1934 and Hamilton
(as composer), Harry Tobias and Lamare/Lemare (lyricists) followed it
(1935?) with "Here Comes Your Pappy......." along with some other now
forgettable songs.
[There were 3 song-writing brothers (Charles, Harry and Henry) called Tobias
and you can read all about them in Warren Vache' Sr's wonderful book, 'The
Unsung Songwriters', mentioned last week in my small tribute to this
now-departed wonderful musician and writer.]
We know who Lemare/Lamare is. Or do we?
Charles Neil Moret (C Neil Daniels) also published under the name Jules
Lemare!
I therefore submit that an early, well-meaning, CD compiler has assumed
'Lemare' to be a misspelling for Hilton 'Nappy' Lamare, the vocalist on the
Randall and Bob Crosby versions of the song. And 'corrected' it.
I hope this is of some help in your info search.
Kind regards,
Bill.