[Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Classical

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Feb 11 09:37:13 PST 2005

Hi Tom
Yes this guy really puts on a show.  The local PBS station brings him in as a fund raiser.  I have known and played with a lot of the symphony guys over the years and with one exception they all had their head up their a**.  It's a snob thing.  They think they are the best and they let you know it in a lot of ways.  I have a friend who isn't in the symphony but does play in the Philharmonic here.  He hates the guy and does nothing but put down the show.  He says that Andre Rieu was asked to never perform in Vienna.  Somehow I can't believe that.

The St. Louis Symphony is a top rated symphony and they deserve the acclaim that it brings.  They also deserve good pay as we all do for our services.  However this isn't an 8 hour job and they pick up on average $50 a lesson from people who want to say they studied with...  All in all they pull down some real cash and keep wanting more as we all do.  I appreciate them but I don't worship at their feet and they just need to un bend and get a little more show biz into their act.

My wife, bless her heart, will go and sit through Beethoven and other heavy heavy things just to hear Bolero.  Musicians just aren't bright sometimes.  When they do some shows they have a good audience and when they do others they don't.  They are like some jazzers I know who throw out the stuff the musicians like and the public be damned.  People stay away in droves.  This should be a clue. DUH!

The sad part in all this is that if they lightened up and put on shows they could include a couple of tunes that would educate and bring up the audience.

Just look at them.  Always dressed in black like a bunch of undertakers.  Actually this is the Union's fault because unless the employer wants to pay for the costumes or concert dress it's black, black, black.

Andre Rieu has every woman in the group dressed in colorful evening dresses of  somewhat old fashioned cut.  It's spectacular actually.  The only group I would like to see more is the Japanese nude girl band but that's another story.

Larry