[Dixielandjazz] Question about 1920s instruments

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 10:13:31 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/11/05 7:09:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Loerchen2 at aol.com writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just got an inquiry from a woman who is working on a thesis on the
> development of jazz.  She needs to know the cost and availability of typical jazz
> band instruments during the 1920s.

Hi Sue:

If we are to believe the history of the "Mr. Jack Daniel's Silver Cornet
Band" they must have been pretty cheap, since they say Mr. Jack Daniels went down
the river somewhere and bought instruments for the whole band.  Rumor has it
he spent as much as Three Hunnerd Dollars too.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

If we played Dixieland gigs we would have to make our own instruments from
scrap, as we can't afford Pawnshop prices so we just look for good opportunities
and steal all of ours.  :))