[Dixielandjazz] The Bulls Head saved hopefully

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 09:58:05 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/11/05 5:57:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com writes:

> A while back there was a post about the possible loss of
> a historic Jazz venue here in the UK because of the
> complaints from one resident of a newly built block of
> flats. Some of you may have signed the petition to help
> save it. It looks like things could have been resolved.

Dear Dan & Liz:

Good news indeed, thanks for sharing it.

The builders of the NEW Residential community surrounding the Bull's Head
should be made to pay for the cost to sound reinforce or soundproof the Bulls
Head.  It should have been put into the requirements for them to build their
development in the first place.

Kind of like folks buying new house surrounding a major airport and then
filing complaints about the noise of the airplanes coming and going.

Obviously the Bull's Head has emanate domain rights if they have been there
and in business for 45 years.  Glad to see they at least did not take it
sitting down.

Besides all those new residents are gong to need a pub to drink are they
not??

I say if they don't like the pub and the good music, then they should sound
proof their own homes, just makes common sense that SOMEBODY would have
investigated this situation and fixed it before they were allowed to build.

No question that we here in the USA have far too many laws, but sometimes
they work to avoid situations like this.  We do have a worse scene however, It is
illegal to have a pub or nightclub serving alcohol within 300 feet of a
school or church.  However it is perfectly legal for a preacher to open a Church
right next door to a liquor store or pub, or porn shop, which happens all the
time.

We have come a long way but obviously not far enough yet.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band