[Dixielandjazz] Greeks / New Orleans / Syncopated Music / Jazz Influence

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 11 06:11:33 PST 2005

Charlie & List Mates:

Right on. There is NO QUESTION BLACKS HAVE BEEN AND STILL ARE THE MAJOR
INNOVATIVE FORCE IN "JAZZ".

This is a simple fact that many self described "unbiased" folks have yet to
come to grips with, for all sorts of self serving reasons that make no
sense. Perhaps a lack of personal self esteem?

LaRocca Sr. (ODJB) was simply a copy cat turned braggart. NORK, Rappolo et
al freely admitted they were trying to sound like black bands. They got
famous because the brought black music before white audiences. Something the
black bands could not do because of social taboos.

In my own perverse mind, the reason for starting the thread about "who
invented jazz" to poke fun at these folks through satire.

Italians, Greeks and Jews were brought into the fray because the same folks
who have a problem with Jazz as a Black Music are also usually somewhat less
than tolerant of those races and religions.

I'm with you, man. Jazz originated mostly as a black musical form. By the
same token it was influenced by Italians, Greeks, Jews and everybody else in
the world including American Aborigines, as well as Persians and Indians
from India, both of whom have had syncopated musical forms much further back
in history than Americans. And jazz would not have evolved as a musical form
without the Eur-Asian musical influence and instrumentation.

All of which does not diminish the overwhelming influence of James Reese
Europe, Sidney Bechet, Buddy Bolden, Louis Armstrong, Kid Ory, Lorenzo Tio,
Freddie Keppard, King Oliver, Jelly Roll Morton, Baby Dodds, et al. And in
later years, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane, Thelonious
Monk, et. al. Without them, there would certainly have been, no jazz.

Cheers,
Steve