[Dixielandjazz] Greeks / New Orleans / Syncopated Music / Jazz Influence

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Feb 10 21:20:01 PST 2005

John Steve and all--

The rhythmic complexity in the development jazz isn't about unusual
time signatures (which of course were conventional Western cut time,
2/4, and 4/4 in early jazz). The rhythmic kicks were in irregular
accentuation, projection, and shape of the written and improvised
lines. Pre-jazz ragtime did this markedly and was called vulgar as a
result. Things got more and more varied as players upped the ante by
manipulating time in other inventive ways,. e.g.,  laying phrases
behind the beat, improvising in double time over ballads, moaning with
bent notes over several bars, etc. African music set the stage for
these contributions in ways that have been described by Schuller,
Baraka, and others.

There was concurrent development of jazz along these lines in New
Orleans by the LaRoccas and Rappollos and others. But cheez, does
anyone really doubt that the rhythmic and other innovations were in
fact advanced MAINLY by black musicians? or that Louis brought it all
together in his Hot 5 and 7 ensemble playing, solos, and vocals?  The
other ethnic influences were arguably present to some extent in the
early jazz environments, but the blues elements, the
reconceptualization of tone on each instrument, and the intense
rhythmic explorations were mainly the work of black artists.

Charlie Suhor