[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Music Museum

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 14:31:20 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/10/05 11:06:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Loerchen2 at aol.com writes:

> The idea is to have several discrete exhibit areas, one for each type of
> music, sponsored by organizations who would supply artifacts.  So far, those
> organizations don't seem to be lining up to participate.  If this gets off the
> ground, it might end up like the River Music Experience in Davenport, with a
> few visuals, lots of performance, but little else to attract visitors.
>
> If it does work, I'll be the first in line to beg for a job!

Gee folks why does this sound like typical Preservation Jazz Society rhetoric
and typical participation,  not wanting to give up their artifacts for
exhibit to many more folks than would more than likely ever find their monthly event
at the Moose lodge.

More performances, YOU BET,  we are in the ever shrinking LIVE PERFORMANCE
MUSIC BUSINESS are we not.  That is what it's all about, folks, if we can get
more venues and places to perform we won't need so many piddly- ass little Jazz
Society private preservation clubs.

I hope the Hell they pick up Preservation Hall lock stock and barrel and
transport it to the lobby of the theater as the new entrance, most folks I know
walking u p to the "Historical Preservation Hall" get the impression they are
about to pay $2.50 to go into a bathroom rather than a clean decent place to sit
and listen comfortably to Jazz.  If it looks like a toilet and smells like a
toilet it usually is a toilet.  The current Hall does nothing to impress any
younger generation of future Jazz or any other kind of music.  It is high time
for the folks of our generation to step up and live in it "The future is NOW"
and will Never Go Back to what is was in Yesteryear folks.  Exhibit the old
photos and memorabilia in good exhibits, but for God's sake join the Living
breathing working group of artists that need the place for employment far more
than they will ever need the exhibits.   I can see the scenario now, folks paying
to get inside and see the photos an such while live musicians are being
arrested out front for trying to play live  music on the sidewalk to the crowd for
tips to try and make enough to not be homeless.

I certainly expected more enthusiasm than this from this list, I sent it to
Steve, because I am very busy and did not have time to address the issue
correctly this week, now I have opened my mailbox and could not resist a reply.

Not picking on you either Dear Sister Sue, This project has all the earmarks
of being a SELF supporting Museum that will not be disposed of once the
politicians decide to cut the budget in the coming years and do what they usually
do, eliminate anything that has anything to do with Musicians making a living.

I can see it coming:

Here folks is the Museum to show you folks what a Musician actually looked
and sounded like many many years ago.  They don't exist any longer in our
society, because we closed all the places that used to hire them to make this
wonderful taxpayer supported museum, where I am proud to use my PHD in Liberal arts
degree while I live off my Trustfund which allows me to work here for $5.00 an
hour.  I am respectful and grateful however because most of the musicians
photos you see here made less than that for the efforts they put into being a
professional musician.   :))

I hope you get the point, even if tongue in cheek.

Cheers,
Tom Wiggins
Back to my other pressing projects.  But I will no doubt read all responses,
you folks should have some fun with this one for a day or two anyway.