[Dixielandjazz] Re: Vale Warren Vach é , Sr.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 4 19:12:57 PST 2005

Oh dear!
Another great jazz man gone.
Fortunately it seems to have been fairly quick, and hopefully without too
much personal suffering.
However, I feel for his family in their loss.
I was privileged to have met Warren Vaché the Elder through the DJML, and
corresponded privately about jazz with him over the years.
He grew up with our music through its formative years and had an amazing
knowledge of the recordings it produced.
His latest well researched and readable book, 'The Unsung Songwriters -
America's Masters of Melody', 2000. Scarecrow Press), should be on the
bookshelf of all those who love the great melodies from the past.
Leslie Johnson has already mentioned, his valuable biogs of Claude Hopkins,
Johnny Blowers, and Pee Wee Erwin and his entertaining contributions to
Mississippi Rag.
There are also his informative cover notes to numerous reissue CDs of our
music.
Warren has left an enviable and valuable legacy to jazz through his bass
playing, his talented sons and his writings.
He will be missed but never forgotten.
Kind regards,
Bill.